Follow us on Twitter and Facebook



at twitter.com/newsofthesun

:: Email for private rants and news tips at:
newsofthesun(at)gmail(dot)com.

:: Are you a Sun newsroom Guild member? Join our private Google Group. To signup, email newsofthesun(at)gmail(dot)com.


......................................................................................................................

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Jobs at Gallaudet available

Bookmark and Share
Hey guys,
I think I'm supposed to post this stuff on the jobs blog, but I must admit to being fairly bad at all the blogging, so Gus, can you cross post? Thanks.
Anyway, got this today from a source. If it looks promising to any of you, please contact Ed. He's good people.

Tanika

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 12:44 PMTo: White, TanikaSubject: Very specialized, but good-paying communications positions are available at Gallaudet University
Tanika - I’m passing this along but there are some terrific opportunities available if a couple former SUN reporters or editors are willing to take the leap and learn American Sign Language (ASL). My former UMB boss, Paul Drehoff, has been hired to be the vice president of communications for Gallaudet University and he has at least seven positions to fill including a director of public relations and a director of media relations. You may be aware that every member of my staff here at UMB is a former reporter, editor, or news director. Over the years, I have learned that former reporters make the best media specialists because they ask the right questions and have the right understandings about what the news media need. In effect, we are translators between the university and the external news media. In the case of Gallaudet, they need people like Paul who can deal with the “hearing” news media, but also talk to the deaf campus community. Persons who are interested in these positions would not have to learn ASL overnight because translators are available, but they do need to make a serious commitment to learn. As Paul’s friend, I am beating the bushes trying to find that perfect person…a veteran reporter who may have a good reason for caring about Gallaudet because they have a deaf member of the family, for example. Ed

Ed Fishel
News Bureau Director
University of Maryland, Baltimore
Cell: 410-292-3925 Off: 410-706-3801

No comments: