Follow us on Twitter and Facebook



at twitter.com/newsofthesun

:: Email for private rants and news tips at:
newsofthesun(at)gmail(dot)com.

:: Are you a Sun newsroom Guild member? Join our private Google Group. To signup, email newsofthesun(at)gmail(dot)com.


......................................................................................................................

Saturday, August 2, 2008

New Acronym: NBC

Bookmark and Share
Nothing But Class.

That's the only way I can describe what happened yesterday at The Sun. On the last day for 40+ veterans -- and by veterans I mean professionals -- our newsroom leaders (Tim Franklin, Bob Blau, Marcia Myers, Howard Libit, et al.) showed a level of class, decency and integrity that I don't think I've ever personally witnessed in the workforce.

With so many journalists at other papers simply getting a tap on the shoulder (or a phone call at home?! Really?), our newsroom leaders put together a 1 hour send-off and tribute.

Kind words were spoken about every single person who was leaving. People cried. The voices of crusty editors, who are rarely sentimental in public, cracked with emotion.

Reporters, copy editors, designers, multimedia pros, photographers -- these 40+ people who left yesterday helped raise The Sun in the morning and helped it set in the evening.

If you wish, take a moment in the comments to give a shout-out to some of the people who left, and share a memory you had with them. Let me start with a few:

Andre Chung. Good luck my friend. I'll never forget the good times we had together in some of the worst parts of Baltimore, reporting on some of the worst things that people can do to one another.

Greg Garland. Good luck, my friend. I'll never forget the work we did together on stories on the state prison system. We worked hard to be fair and accurate. We made a difference. You always amazed me with your abilities to cultivate sources.

John Lindner. Good luck, my friend. You turned my shaky video clips into two-minute Web hits. I learned so much from you. And yer pretty damn funny, too.

-30-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are so many, and I am sure i will think of more, but here are a few of the people i will really miss:

Pat Ercolano and Bob Swann: uber-copy editors who kept me from looking stupid more times than i care to say. A smart, attentive copy editor is the unsung hero at a paper like The Sun, and i say this as someone who in my younger days occasionally got into battles with copy editors.

Peter Baker: He knew more about the Chesapeake Bay than I have probably forgotten, and when something didn't sound right, he weighed in.I was grateful.

Mike Ollove: We praise the people behind the bylines of narrative writing, but rarely do we pause to acknowledge the great editors who make it possible. And he was one of those.

Jon Bor: For his incisive medical reporting, his friendship, and the caffeine addiction we shared. I will miss those afternoon coffee breaks.

Andre Chung: For his pure talent behind the lens, and his ability to put subjects at ease. And he always made it look so effortless.

John Lindner: For putting so many of us in a better mood. Hope he continues blogging at Dining At Large.

Sandy Banisky, John Fairfall: Great reporters who became great editors and leaders; the definition of grace under pressure.

Jon Morgan: Tremendous dedication to the paper and great story ideas; I owe him one for suggesting a page one crab story a couple of months ago that i never would have thought of.

Lynn Anderson: For being a great friend, a terrific journalist and a person who, wherever she goes, brightens up the room.

Brad Olson: Because he managed to crack the secrecy surrounding the Naval Academy and do some terrific stories; also because he's the sort of person (young, energetic) that this paper used to be able to keep, for at least a few more years.

I know there are more. It breaks my heart to say goodbye to them. But I know they will go forth and succeed in whatever they choose to do. It's just sad that, for most of them, what they do won't be at a newspaper.

Posted By Rona K.